Monday, September 13, 2010

South Jersey Cakes



This is a really simple recipe and is found on the back of a Bisquik box. I don't remember having these growing up, but my mom and sister assure me we did, they call them South Jersey Cakes. They're a sweet biscuit with strawberries with sugar on top. Amazing. Out of this world.

My sister Lyn makes them AMAZINGLY, mine didn't taste as good as hers. There's nothing better than Lyn's Shore Cakes and her coffee. Don't get me started on how I can't duplicate her amazing coffee... Maybe the taste is a figment of my imagination and I just like having someone else make breakfast and coffee??

South Jersey Cakes (AKA Strawberry Shortcakes)

Ingredients:
1 quart (4 cups) strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick® mix
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup whipping cream

Directions:
1.Heat oven to 425°F. In large bowl, mix strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
2.In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and the butter until soft dough forms. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 6 spoonfuls.
3.Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in small bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
4.Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream.

I don't use the whipped cream but put butter on the biscuit first. Mmmmmm, so evil and SO good!

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment