Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Turkey Mini-Meatloaves

A few months back my mother in law told me about this show called 'Cook Yourself Thin,' so I investigated. They basically take someone's 3 favorite foods, total up the calories they are ingesting eating them, and remake them healthier, showing the new calorie intake. I immediately downloaded all the shows on iTunes and went to work watching them. I have made a few of their recipes so far, the best being the 'Penne Alla Not-ka', and haven't been disappointed yet! There's also a cookbook out, 2 actually. The original is the recipes (and more) from the show. The second book hasn't inspired me to make anything out of it yet. Maybe someday...

Well, here's what I made out of it for dinner last night:




Turkey Mini-Meatloaves
Serves 4
Calories per serving, meatloaves: 227

For the meatloaves
1 slice whole-wheat bread
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
5-ounce bag baby spinach leaves
1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

For the glaze
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Grind the bread in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a large bowl, and pour milk over crumbs.

3. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 5 minutes. Add spinach, and stir until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl with soaked crumbs. Add the turkey, cheese, egg, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Combine the mixture with your hands until well mixed; it will be quite wet.

4. Pack 1 cup of the mixture into a 1-cup dry measuring cup. Invert the cup onto a rimmed baking sheet, gently shaking the cup to release the mixture. Gently pat the mound to smooth its shape. Repeat three times with remaining mixture. In a small bowl combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Brush over meatloaves.
Bake mini meatloaves until cooked through and golden, about 40 minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Notes:
-On the show they use a piece of day old bread and rip it into pieces, they don't make bread crumbs. My bread was fresh, so I just toasted it twice. Same effect... smells marvelous.

-Again, on the show...they used brown sugar instead of Worcestershire sauce, which I didn't realize, so I added the brown sugar and it was a hit! You may want to double the glaze, which I will do next time, to spoon some over when serving.

-I meant to serve this with roasted root veggies: potatoes, carrots and asparagus, but the 2 potatoes I had left were bad. BOO! So I improvised and used Ready Rice that I had bought awhile back with a coupon. I used 2 white rice ones and a brown rice with a tablespoon of butter and a sprinkling of salt. Oh, and steamed broccoli with vinegar and a big salad. YUM. It was a huge hit with the hubs!


No comments:

Post a Comment