Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Southern Thing I: Sausage Gravy

I'm BACK! I'm going to catch up on a bunch of recipes that I've had stored up, but will be trying to stay more current from now on. School is done and I am carefree! For the time being until I start working that is... ;) The original "Baby-Plan" has been nixed...for now. Maybe just shelved. I don't know what it is, being around certain kids, or just loving my life the way it is, I don't want kids right now.

SO. I'll start off with Sausage Gravy. I'm trying this whole "Southern" cooking thing every once in a while to appease my Southern-born hunk of a husband. So far I'm not loving it. My original thoughts of Southern cooking were just butter and gravy. Paula Deen is giving "y'all" (that means 'yous guys') a bad rap!

Drew LOVED this. I did not. I made gorgeous biscuits to go with it, and ended up eating them with butter and Hero jelly. I am not a thyme-fan, dried thyme that is, so this was out for me. Maybe I'll try it again with fresh thyme...

Here's the recipe, courtesy of the Knead For Bread blog:





Sausage Gravy

Sausage Gravy

Ingredients:

1 pound mild pork sausage
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
4 -5 tablespoon flour
3 cups whole milk

1 ) Cook the sausage meat in a skillet.
2 ) Add in the butter and all the spices. Cook for a few minutes.
3 ) Add in the flour, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
4 ) Add in the milk and stir using a whisk till the gravy comes to a slow boil. Turn down the heat and continue to stir till the gravy comes to the desired thickness. I cooked mine for about and extra 8 minutes to reduce the gravy and create more flavor. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over freshly baked biscuits and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment